Thursday, August 6, 2015

Spouses in Sports

There are not many who understand what life is like as a football family and a coach's wife. I wouldn't say we are on the same playing field as a military wife, but some of the same emotions and daily life can really coincide- except, thankfully, I don't have to add the anxiety and fear of my husband never making it home to my list of worries.
In recent weeks I have became a part of an online community of coach's wives and I am already relaxing just a little bit about camp. It's comforting to know I am not the only one going through all the motions and secretly deep down inside already missing my husband more than words can say- and hey we are still three days out from camp- so life hasn't even really began yet! Adrian gives me a hard time about being a social media junkie, and well admitting it is the first step--- so yes I am addicted to social media. I use to scroll Facebook and see what was new on my news feed, but now I find myself scrolling through a few of the football wive's groups I am in on Facebook. It makes the days easier when you read about other women who are in your exact same situation. There is no one better that understands this life like another football wife. I also have joined Spouse in Sports and on my to do list is joining the American Football Wives Association. Coach's wives if you are not already a member, I urge you to join! You can never have too much support in this life we live.

Everywhere we have been, I have bonded with the women of the staff. Coach's families become your family. In the football world, if you are lucky, you miss Thanksgiving AND Christmas with your traditional family. Yet you spend it with your football family. At the Division I level if you are home for Christmas, well lets be honest- You didn't win enough games and didn't make it to post-season play or you won just enough for an early bowl game but you'll make it home in time for Christmas. Either one of those scenarios is not where a coach hopes to be. Coach's plan to spend the holidays in Phoenix, Pasadena, Florida, Arlington and the list goes on for prime bowl spots to be invited too.

When coach gets the call, and new job is on the horizon it's scary but exciting and we are all happy yet a little sad. After Adrian finished his masters and three years as a GA at Baylor the time came to find a new home. We were both said to leave Baylor. BU was family. Over the years we had grown close with several people and now it was time move along in the coaching world. He ended up at a Junior College in Corsicana, Texas. The season was a rough one. Adrian wasn't always happy and there wasn't a sense of family between the coach's and families. I spent a lot of time alone in Corsicana, well as alone as you can be with a chatty four year old. We are now at Southeastern, a D2 school in southeast Oklahoma. The staff here is family and many have been here together for a long time or they played here and now coach. Each get together I get a little close with the wives, but many have yet to understand the constant moving. My coach's goal is a DC spot at the Division 1 level and I can tell you we won't stop until he's there. 

People tell me all the time, oh you can't move your kids that much or say oh it will be too hard for them to make new friends. Well coach's families are resilient and can adapt. It's what we do, it's how we live and I wouldn't have it any other way. 

Camp begins SATURDAY! Just a few more days and it's going to be hello single mom life! If I want my house to be somewhat presentable and the kids halfway decent, I have to step up! Dad won't be helping with bath time or feeding the baby while I cook dinner- nope he will still be at the office so that all falls on me! So does doctor appointments, back to school night with our new Pre-K kiddo, and all the other mommy duties! Along with pre-k, Zaden is starting soccer this fall. Someone tried to explain to me that if his dad couldn't make his first games then we should wait to spring. Well dear let me explain to you that in a football family, there is no "off season" for coaches. If they aren't breaking down game film and practice then they are recruiting. If it isn't recruiting then it is spring ball, so even if we wait until Spring chances are daddy will still be missing games. But hey we are in 2015 that's what video technology and Face time are for! So daddy can still be a part of the memories!

So basically I want to say Thank You to all the coach's wives I have already became friends with in these social media forums. Some of us may be rivals on the field but off the field we support each other and lend an ear or a tissue when it is most needed. Good Luck to everyone for the season!

Like reading about our crazy lives? Check out some of these blogs from really great women I've connected with!
Footballwifelife: Game Planning
Lifeasafootballwife: August in a Coaching family
Thesimplysouthern: Love Letters to Coach
InchbyInch: It's just around the bend
CoachG'sWife: It's Here
fx4fit: lfriday-night-sister-wife


No comments:

Post a Comment